The congregation of Milltown Lutheran Church of Milltown, Wisconsin is a family of people with diverse gifts and abilities given by God. Through the Word and Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion, we are chosen by God to be servants and witnesses of our life in Jesus Christ. We are called by the Holy Spirit and empowered by God's forgiving and redeeming grace to be ministers of the Word in our daily lives, in our congregation, in our communities, and in all the world. We join hands with all Christians to celebrate the faith we share in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
A Brief History
Though records of organized Lutheran church activities date as far back as 1875, Milltown Lutheran Church was officially organized on May 9, 1913 as the "Scandinavian English Evangelical Lutheran Church", the first organized English Speaking congregation within the UELC synod.
The young congregation occupied a building built by the Little Butternut Danish Lutheran Church on a lot purchased from Herman Hermanson. This building was later replaced with a new church dedicated on October 28th, 1916. Unfortunately that Church burned to the ground on Christmas Day, two years later. It was rebuilt the following year.
Over the years this congregation has grown and changed with numerous remodels to the church itself, as well as an educational building dedicated in 1956, and a new parsonage built in 1968. On January 1, 1988 Milltown Lutheran became a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, as three former synods(ALC, LCA, and AELC)merged into one church body.